Council tax benefit backdating regulations

A claim for housing benefit and council tax support can be backdated for a minimum of three months from the date of your application or from the date that you or your partner became pensionable age if this is later.If you are working age we can backdate your claim for a maximum of one month from the date of your application.

council tax benefit backdating regulations-40council tax benefit backdating regulations-59

Contact can be in person, by phone, email or in writing.

It is therefore very important that you contact as soon as you want to claim.

For HB and CTS we normally start your claim from the Monday after you first made contact with us or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), but only if you return a properly completed claim form within one month of us issuing it.

If the form is not returned in that time, the claim will start from the Monday after we get your claim form.

You can only ask for a backdate of housing benefit and council tax support if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit and support earlier.

If you disagree with the date your claim starts from for any other reason you can appeal against the decision.

There is no exact legal definition of what is good cause.

The council will make a decision after considering the facts in each application.

If we send you an application form we will allow you one calendar month to complete and return it.

If you take longer than one calendar month to return the form you might lose your entitlement to some of your benefits.

The more information and evidence you give in support of your claim the quicker a decision can be made. Any backdated award of HB or CTS will be paid in the normal way.